Smash Flash Back Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school.

+14
Perfect Hell
HylianHero
Vozw
whiteblackasian
Fly or Die
Tida
GMSTerror
RM
supersudowoodo
MaxMatsu
Red
Faceless Void
|~DVDV~|
pennylessz
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

*HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school. Empty *HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school.

Post  pennylessz Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Faceless Void on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:13 pm wrote:Unlocked and moved into the application forum for public viewing. Feel free to comment.
Name (aka Handle): My name is Pennylessz

How old are you?

I am 13 and hope no one will consider my age as a meaning for low intelligence.

Do you know anyone currently in the Back Room? How do you know them?

I might know someone. I am fairly new and if had the chance would like to know all of them.

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):

I play Naruto as my main. His rasengan is a great knock back attack, and Opinion:he seems to be easier to play
My second is Lloyd. He has an over all great move set, and has a great Down and forward special.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):

I have played every smash brothers game in existence.
I commonly played captain falcon on the original.
On Melee my most commonly played character was Zelda/sheik
On Brawl my most commonly played character was meta knight.
On ssb nes my most commonly played character was a custom character.
On Super smash flash my most commonly played character was Tails Miles.

When did you start playing SSF2?

From the beginning but stopped and came back in time for the release of version 0.6.
I now play it every day for a reasonable amount of hours.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.

My favorite stage is final destination. Final Destination has a flat one platform surface, There are no interruptions and Items are easy to get. I can play without having to worry about the height of a platform since the entire area is one platform. Also this stage is an original and I've had years of experience playing on it.

Who do you think is the current best character in SSF2? The worst? Explain.

Ignoring tiers witch this question is obviously about. Personally I think the best would be Lloyd. He has useful attacks and good combo's I've never found it easier to mindlessly beat up a computer player.
The worst character in my opinion is mega man. Mega man's down special provides him access to multiple spam combo's. Unfortunately spam isn't always good. Mega man has powerful attacks but can easily be outmatched by real people. Unfortunately the computer players just get owned. Really the only thing about him that would help while playing him is his final smash. Unfortunately Mega man's final smash is yet another gateway to spam.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?

I would change Mega man's setup. Mega man has the opportunity to be a very enjoyable character. Unfortunately I have a hard time enjoyably playing him.

What is your view on items in competitive play?

Items are great but can sometimes change the outcome of a battle. Items are mostly not to be used in competitive battle, or to only have the less damaging Items to use on.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Be as detailed as possible.

Unfortunately I don't know what I will bring to the back room. I will try to bring the most detailed opinions I can. I will make sure to obey the rules and not to spam. What I can contribute well we would have to see for I can't make any promises. I'm running short on time so I will leave it at that.

Cake or pie? (The most important question!)

Cake it's easier to eat faster and has more variety.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)

I don't have any additional information.
My hyper cam is broken as well as most things on my computer before my convert to windows 7.
Hopefully this doesn't hinder your judgment.

It will most likely bee over 16 hours before I come back because of school.
pennylessz
pennylessz

Back to top Go down

*HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school. Empty Re: *HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school.

Post  |~DVDV~| Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 am

peenylessz wrote:I would change Mega man's setup. Mega man has the opportunity to be a very enjoyable character. Unfortunately I have a hard time enjoyably playing him.
Lol@Roy

I'm going to say no, right from the very first question about the game, he came out with some dodgy answers. He admitted himself that he wouldn't be able to contribute as far as he knows and his experiences with competitive play seem to be considerably few.

|~DVDV~|

Back to top Go down

*HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school. Empty Re: *HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school.

Post  Faceless Void Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:54 am

If you think a question is "obviously about" tiers, why would you ignore tiers in your answer? Are you trying to get the answer wrong?

Why should we want you in the Back Room if you yourself don't know why we would?

"I play it every day for a reasonable amount of hours" is 1) very vague and 2) probably untrue. What do you mean by a "reasonable amount of hours"?

Have you ever played against a real person?
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

https://smashflashbackroom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylessz Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:11 am

Void wrote:If you think a question is "obviously about" tiers, why would you ignore tiers in your answer? Are you trying to get the answer wrong?

Why should we want you in the Back Room if you yourself don't know why we would?

"I play it every day for a reasonable amount of hours" is 1) very vague and 2) probably untrue. What do you mean by a "reasonable amount of hours"?

Have you ever played against a real person?

You know what I know my application was crap I am new on the forums,
and just at this moment I can already tell I'm out.

Oh and I've played ssf2 with one person 9 times another 4 times another 2 then I was currently playing with someone I hadn't fought yet.

A reasonable amount of hours was a dodge yes but thats because I don't time myself as I am always switching back and fourth between the mcleod forum, and ssf2.

Also for one if it says what characters do you think is or the worst the best it should be asking for a personal opinion.
If it said what characters
who is the best character currently in ssf2? The worst?
I would have put information there instead.

pennylessz
pennylessz

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Void Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 am

If you know your application is crap, why did you bother submitting it? Did you think we would let you in?

The application process has a purpose: to prevent people we don't want in the Back Room from becoming members. You have shown yourself to be just such a person for the following reasons:
1. You have bad grammar, don't put a lot of effort into your writing, and are VERY hard to understand. I don't care if you're 13 or not, but if being 13 means you can't communicate clearly, then you wouldn't do well here. Maybe you should take a break from SSF2 and focus more on your schoolwork.
2. You admit to dodging questions. If you don't have an exact number, provide us with an estimate or say that at the start. Actually, you were never even asked how often you play, so there was no reason to provide such a poor answer to a question that doesn't exist.
3. You understand virtually nothing about competitive smash.
4. You can't tell me what you would contribute to the back room. If you yourself don't have any idea how you would help us, I'm not going to waste my time trying to find a nonexistent reason to let you in.
5. You think that Lloyd is the best character in the game. I don't care if you thought it was a question about your opinion or not; in fact, it can be about your. The point is your opinion is dead wrong, and we don't want people who don't understand why Lloyd isn't the best character in the Back Room. We need people with informed opinions in the back room in order to get anything done. You are indeed entitled to your opinion; go share it with the people at the MG forums.
6. You exhibit a pretty low level of maturity throughout the application process.

You want to get in even though you KNOW you submitted a "crappy" application? Why do you think I would even consider that? If you have a bad application, bad communication skills, bad level of knowledge, bad attitude, and bad way of handling questions, the result probably won't be "welcome to the Back Room."
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:41 pm

app. is crap.
lol, I made a rhyme.
Anyways, as much as I wanna say Lloyd is the best, he not as good as the three above him, for specific reasons.
Ignoring Tiers in smash is ignorance.
MM is already enjoyable. I just think he needs some minor tweaks for the next demo.
He's a whole lot better than Naruto, when it comes to, "Who's boring, and who is not".
Umm, you think being thirteen is a sign of minor intelligence?
As long as you can communicate, you'll do well here.
But,
You don't know what you'll contribute here. That changes everything.
I vote,
No.

Red
Red

http://smashfightgenesis.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxMatsu Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Note: An opinion can't be wrong. The facts in it that lead to that opinion can be, though.

And sure, your answer doesn't have to be based on tiers, but you are supposed to have almost the same opinion as the tier list, if not the same, if you do know about competitive smash anyway. I don't think this case is an exception of this rule.
MaxMatsu
MaxMatsu

Back to top Go down

Post  supersudowoodo Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:30 pm

"OK, you know what he is my friend and you people are just being complete jerks to him, so what if one or two things are wrong. Jesus have some god damn consideration. Some of the comments here are just plain retarded. And he has bad grammar? My god her's one of the smartest people in our school, so really you're just being asses about it. He is also one of the most mature people I know, so don't give me this low level of maturity crap. Really, you all can just screw off."
supersudowoodo
supersudowoodo

Back to top Go down

Post  RM Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:32 pm

NO

2 main reasons:

1) He doesn't have deep knowledge about the game.
2) He is not involved, or at least interested in competitive play.

In my educated opinion, those are two most important, if not the deciding traits we should look for in an applicant. If both the above requirements are not met, then there is no point in further scrutiny.

Penny, please stick with the Cleod Forums for now, and later, if you believe you possess the above minimum traits, please apply again in 0.7.(Not trying to do Void's job for him or anything.Very Happy)

Definite no from me Void.

EDIT:

@Sud: Its not that we are being jerks or anything, but she(?) simply does not meet minimum requirements for entry to the Back Room. None of us have said anything out of norms.
RM
RM

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Void Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:52 pm

supersudowoodo wrote:"OK, you know what he is my friend and you people are just being complete jerks to him, so what if one or two things are wrong. Jesus have some god damn consideration. Some of the comments here are just plain retarded. And he has bad grammar? My god her's one of the smartest people in our school, so really you're just being asses about it. He is also one of the most mature people I know, so don't give me this low level of maturity crap. Really, you all can just screw off."

Since I'm bored, I'll adress your points one by one.

1) "So what if one or two things are wrong." He got very easy questions wrong that any person with sufficient knowledge of SSF2 would have had no trouble with, and his reasoning to back up his decisions similarly reflected no knowledge of competitive Smash. Without such knowledge, one has no place in the SFBR.

2) "And he has bad grammar?" Bad grammar is fine. Bad communication is not. Some members here don't have perfect written grammar, but they make up for it by making a concerted effort to communicate clearly, which your friend made no apparent effort to do in this application process.

3) "My god her's one of the smartest people in our school." Now you're just asking me to be mean to you, but I'll refrain. If Sagan came to our website wanting to join but posted this application, I would turn him down in a heartbeat. I don't care how smart you are in real life. What I care about is whether you are intelligent in your analysis and discussion of SSF2. Your friend is not.

4) "He is also one of the most mature people I know, so don't give me this low level of maturity crap." Thanks for the convincing evidence: I am happy to trust that one of the applicant's best friends has a completely unbiased opinion. Saying "you're wrong, he's super mature irl" doesn't change the fact that he seemed immature in the application process, which is what I have to go by.

5) "Some of the comments here are just plain retarded." "Really you're just being asses about it." "Really, you all can just screw off." This is wonderfully ironic given your comments about maturity. I don't think anyone in this thread called anyone a "jerk," "retard," or "ass" except you, which kind of hinders your credibility as far as maturity goes. This is my forum, so if anyone's going to be "screwing off" it's going to have to be you. But I am not suggesting this! Your post provided me with a lot of amusement, and I encourage you to post more.

Basically, he submitted a bad application and later called his own application crappy and bad. Read that part again if you missed it. I think it's well justified for me to tell your friend what was wrong with his app in detail after he himself admitted that it wasn't up to our standards, thus wasting all of our time. If you know your application is bad, don't submit it expecting to get in anyway, and then send your friend onto this forum to yell at us for being "jerks" and "retards" when you're denied. A lesson to everyone reading this, really.
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylessz Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:06 pm

RM wrote:NO

2 main reasons:

1) He doesn't have deep knowledge about the game.
2) He is not involved, or at least interested in competitive play.

In my educated opinion, those are two most important, if not the deciding traits we should look for in an applicant. If both the above requirements are not met, then there is no point in further scrutiny.

Penny, please stick with the Cleod Forums for now, and later, if you believe you possess the above minimum traits, please apply again in 0.7.(Not trying to do Void's job for him or anything.Very Happy)

Definite no from me Void.

EDIT:

@Sud: Its not that we are being jerks or anything, but she(?) simply does not meet minimum requirements for entry to the Back Room. None of us have said anything out of norms.

So I have bad grammar? Are you all being serious. If you people are so high and mighty then why does this guy over here get to skip multiple things in his writing, and use the word normal as norms?
I have never seen a forum more unfriendly, or more complicatedly retarded then these 3 forums.
Did you know i put an hour and a half to check my answers.
I'm the most honest person in my entire school, so of course I'm going to tell you these things.
In fact even if I'm probably going to get banned in my "honest" opinion you can all go to hell!

Edit:In fact if I could change one thing about this game I would change all of you.
Do you expect me to be a genius.
I am not at a low level school, and not a high level school.
Now I know for a fact no one at my school in my grade or below could even read what I said in my application, they would think it's to complicated.

Also I sure as hell don't expect you to call everyone at my school and the school below mine stupid.
Also do any of you care about morals? Is that not a big deal. Do you accept someone who comes in here and lies there ass off into this forum.

I believe you have pushed way to many buttons. I don't know who you people are but I know of no single person on this earth that I've met, to be less considerate, less caring, and less friendly than you people.
Know matter how you explain it what a few specific people in here said was rude.
Do you know why he used foul mouthed words like I've been recently using.
Well it pisses him off to see people like you.
Go burn in hell.
Oh and if I missed anything make sure to remind me. Oh wait you would have anyway.
pennylessz
pennylessz

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Void Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:32 pm

"Social norms are the behavioral expectations and cues within a society or group." That wasn't incorrect grammar. Also, read my above post in relation to this point.

Both of you are being much bigger jerks than anyone here. You're calling us all "retards" and telling us to "go to hell" when we really did nothing to provoke you outside of telling you why you weren't right for this forum. You can be the nicest, smartest, most honest, most grown-up person in your school as much as you like, but what you have shown yourself to be in this specific online setting is the exact opposite. You also have no knowledge of competitive SSF2, which alone is enough to prevent you from becoming a Back Room member.

To adress your specific concerns:

-"In fact even if I'm probably going to get banned in my "honest" opinion you can all go to hell!" You're not going to get banned unless you start spamming. Feel free to continue to express your valuable opinions.

-"Now I know for a fact no one at my school in my grade or below could even read what I said in my application, they would think it's to complicated." Again, I don't care whether the people at your school can understand what you're saying. Frankly, though, I wouldn't blame them. It takes a lot of work to decipher what you're trying to say, and I don't mean because your writing is so incredibly advanced. If you really do represent the highest level of intelligence at your school (I highly doubt this), then:

-"Also I sure as hell don't expect you to call everyone at my school and the school below mine stupid." Everyone at your school and the school below yours is stupid.

-"Do you accept someone who comes in here and lies there ass off into this forum." No.

-"I don't know who you people are but I know of no single person on this earth that I've met, to be less considerate, less caring, and less friendly than you people." No one was mean to you, at least not until you admitted to wasting our time and started cussing us out. A mature person would have taken our criticism, learned from it, then would have reapplied and probably gotten in next version. Me and several other members told you why you weren't let in, and then you and your friend started calling us all "retards" and "assholes." You can't really take the moral high ground, my friend.

-"Do you know why he used foul mouthed words like I've been recently using. Well it pisses him off to see people like you. Go burn in hell." Yeah, when someone disagrees with you, the reasonable thing to do is to call them an asshole retard and tell them to go to hell. That's what mature people do.

You tax me.
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RM Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Actually... morals don't have a place in competitive play, that is, if you truly "Play To Win"(Book by Sirlin. Read this if you want a true understanding of how to play competitively). But that's aside the point. This thread isn't a place for you two to argue with us, its a place for qualified applicants to attempt to enter the Back Room for it's improvement. Void, could you please officially deny Penny and lock this thread?

@Sud & Penny: If you know you're not getting in then why keep posting and tell us we're terrible people? There's no need, and you only ruin your first impression on us. I actually thought you could improve, learn to communicate a little better, and possibly apply again in later demos. But you make me think otherwise. Please don't apply later. We don't need angry discussions in the BR. Very Happy
RM
RM

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Void Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:39 pm

RM wrote:Actually... morals don't have a place in competitive play, that is, if you truly "Play To Win"(Book by Sirlin. Read this if you want a true understanding of how to play competitively). But that's aside the point. This thread isn't a place for you two to argue with us, its a place for qualified applicants to attempt to enter the Back Room for it's improvement. Void, could you please officially deny Penny and lock this thread?

@Sud & Penny: If you know you're not getting in then why keep posting and tell us we're terrible people? There's no need, and you only ruin your first impression on us. I actually thought you could improve, learn to communicate a little better, and possibly apply again in later demos. But you make me think otherwise. Please don't apply later. We don't need angry discussions in the BR. Very Happy

I also originally thought there was potential here.

Done and done. Locked. PM me if you have any additional concerns.
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Void Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Unlocked and moved into the application forum for public viewing. Feel free to comment.
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GMSTerror Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Void wrote:Unlocked and moved into the application forum for public viewing. Feel free to comment.

I'm guessing this is to show everyone about how people can fail in an application. Am I right?
GMSTerror
GMSTerror

https://www.youtube.com/user/brawlmaster32?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  |~DVDV~| Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm

... see title?

|~DVDV~|

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Wow,

At least this thread is being shown to those who want to make an app.

They'll know not to do this. >_>

I hope they can read...
Red
Red

http://smashfightgenesis.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tida Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:43 am

Slightly adding insult to injury? Oh well. Don't do drugs kids.
Tida
Tida

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Void Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Tidus wrote:Slightly adding insult to injury? Oh well. Don't do drugs kids.

Yeah, kind of. This is more for educational purposes than anything else, though.

Though it is amusing as well.
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RM Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Will there be a "How to Apply" one when 0.7 comes out?
RM
RM

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Void Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 pm

RM wrote:Will there be a "How to Apply" one when 0.7 comes out?

Yes.
Faceless Void
Faceless Void
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly or Die Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:10 pm

First post in a while.

I think the "How to Apply" needs this in it. An example would help.
Fly or Die
Fly or Die

http://www.flyordie.com/

Back to top Go down

*HOW NOT TO APPLY* Pennylessz, the smartest, most honest guy at his school. Empty Lol

Post  whiteblackasian Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:40 am

While I was reading Penny's argument I kept thinking he has a high pitchy voice lol.
whiteblackasian
whiteblackasian

https://facebook.com/auron2314

Back to top Go down

Post  Vozw Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:59 pm

This is hilarious...

Wait, am I supposed to go through the same application process before commenting on anything? o.o

Vozw

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum